Wearing of bikini is like a statement. It empowers women; it allows them to express themselves without any pretentions. Decades ago, wearing of these swimming outfits is a big no-no or a taboo. However, years have passed and the thinking of many has likewise changed, becoming more open to more liberal ideas. In some respects, bikinis or sexy women swimsuits have become an instrument for women empowerment, proving that women can decide for themselves and that they can be bold and daring. Today, seeing women in skimpy bikinis and custom swimwear is not uncommon, especially in beach resorts.
Over the years, several women have become the standard-bearer of sexiness as they gained famed for wearing sexy swimsuits. Some of these women were able to capitalize their fame and became instant Hollywood celebrities or top models.
- Heidi Klum – Before becoming the host of popular American reality television program “Project Runway” and before becoming a Hollywood A-lister, this American-German model was known for her daring poses on famous magazines like Sports Illustrated. Klum arguably gained international fame after she posed for the swimwear edition of Sports Illustrated. Since then, she was able to gain popularity not only in the U.S. but in many countries including Australia.
- Naomi Campbell – Another product of the supermodel era of the early 1990s, British model Campbell starred in different music videos like Michael Jackson’s “In the Closet” single. Being the face and body of Chanel’s ready-to-wear product line, Campbell gained worldwide popularity, breaking the fashion industry’s skin color barrier. Campbell likewise gained fame for wearing eye-catching and sexy swimsuits or bikinis, and this was even highlighted when she posed for Sports Illustrated magazine’s swimsuit issue.
- Kathy Ireland – Known for appearing in 13 consecutive Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, Ireland was one of the supermodels to emerge from the 1980s and early 1990s. Before being known as a business mogul and fashion industry expert, she first starred in various films and television series. However, arguably her fame skyrocketed after posing for Sports Illustrated many times. Undeniably, her sexy pictorials in bikini has helped her achieved her current status.
- Molly Sims – Known as former host of MTV’s House of Style, Sims also graced Sports Illustrated’s swimsuit issue in 2000. Sims used this stint as leverage into becoming a full-blown television personality. She starred in hit TV series Las Vegas in all of its five seasons. In 2010, she became a legitimate fashion designer as she launched her own jewelry line.
- Christie Brinkley – CoverGirls signed Brinkley for a 20-year contract, the longest ever in modeling industry. This California surfer was one of the most popular bikini models during the 1980s, gracing Sports Illustrated’s swimsuit issue for three consecutive years. In addition to Sports Illustrated, Brinkley also appeared in hundreds of magazine covers. After her modeling, Brinkley also got involved in acting, writing, fashion designing, and illustrating. Brinkley is also known for her works for charitable institutions.
- Tyra Banks – During her first week in Paris as professional model, she has already booked 25 fashion shows, a clear feat for then-17-year-old model. Banks was also the first African-American model to appear on the cover of Sports Illustrated’s swimsuit issue. From a popular fashion model, Banks became a media mogul, becoming a well-known television personality around the world. She hosts hit reality TV show “America’s Next Top Model” and hosted her own talk show, “The Tyra Banks Show”.
Bikini models are not any model that can strut and sport custom swimwear as they should also have fierceness, good personality, and overall package. Many bikini models who gained success over the years continue working for the industry in one way or another. The mentioned personalities share the same passion to help others as evident in their charity works. True enough, being a model is not only about posing for magazines or participating in fashion shows but about good personality as well.